Are you bothered about the look of your shower screen and confused about how to get the dirt off? If you understand what to use and how best way to go about it, getting the dirt and debris can be easy.
Most shower screens are made of plastic and other synthetic polymers. And over time, layers of specks of dust and dirt accumulate on it. Therefore, you must learn how to clean your shower screen and keep it sparkling and shiny. Moreso, it’s a place where you regularly clean yourself; it has to be cleaned too so you can have a refreshing time there.
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to the best blogger Guy About Home who offers the best garden and home improvement tips! If you are a home decor and design fan, don't miss the tips on home ideas. If you are a home garden owner, then you might be interest in our complete guides to house plants!
Limescale is one of the enemies of the bathroom, and it usually buildup up around the shower screens. Although chemical cleaners can eliminate this dirt, there are cheaper and easy DIY solutions that you can opt for. Let’s dive in fully!
Table of Contents
- What Can I Use to Clean Shower Screen?
- Who Cleans Shower Screens?
- How to Get Glass Shower Screen Cleaned
- Common Stains/Dirt on Shower Screen
- How to Remove Silicone from Glass Shower Screen
- How to Remove Stubborn Watermarks Off Shower Screen
- How to Remove Calcium from Glass Shower Doors
- How to Remove Mold from Shower Screen Seal
- Best Products for Cleaning Shower Screens
- How to Clean Shower Screen with Wd40
- How to Clean Shower Screen with Vinegar
- How to Clean Shower Screen with Baking Soda
- How to Clean Shower Screen with Lemon
- How to Clean Shower Screen with Dishwasher Tablets
- How to Easily Clean Shower Screen
- How to Clean Plastic Shower Screen
- How to Clean Rubber Seal on Shower Screen
- How to Clean a Curved Shower Screen
- How to Clean Bottom of Shower Screen
- How to Clean Kudos Shower Screen
- How to Clean a Shower Screen, so it is Spotless
- How to Stop Shower Screen Seal Going Moldy
- How Often Should I Clean Shower Screen
- Tips for Cleaning Shower Screen
- Common FAQs for Cleaning Shower Screen
What Can I Use to Clean Shower Screen?
You can use water and dishwashing soap to remove the dirt at home for simple stains on your shower screen. But for hard and stubborn stains, the best way to remove them is to apply other household cleaning agents like baking soda, vinegar, lemon, etc. Once you can dilute this in the right proportion at home and apply, the stains will be off.
Who Cleans Shower Screen?
Cleaning your shower screen is something to be done by you. You can add this to your to-do list and make it a regular exercise. So long you understand what to do and how to go about it, you can’t get it wrong. Also, the household products are DIY, and the procedures are simple.
You might want to employ the service of a professional cleaner to do a thorough job once in a while; this isn’t a bad idea afterall. But do well to go for a trained expert.
How to Get Glass Shower Screen Cleaned
A dirty shower screen can make your clean bathroom look messy and untidy. Unfortunately, cleaning the screen isn’t as easy as you think, especially for stubborn stains like streaks, silicone, watermarks, etc.
Aside from using water and a clean cloth, you’ll need to prepare an equal mixture of water and vinegar. Then spray the mixture on the glass shower screen and scrub with a clean cloth.
Common Stains/Dirt on Shower Screen
Image Source: Reddit
There is various stains/dirt that appears on your shower screen. While some might be tasked with eliminating, others will leave with ease. For simple stains, water will be fine, but baking soda and lemon will be perfect for the buildup of harder stains that don’t seem to go easily. Let’s consider these stains and debris and how to get rid of them.
How to Remove Silicone from Glass Shower Screen
Silicone is popularly used as an effective sealant in homes. It is waterproof that prevent water from damaging vulnerable places such as bathrooms, kitchens, and laundry. Over time, the silicone can wear down, hence the need to remove it, clean the area, and replace it.
- For a home remedy to removing silicone from a glass shower screen, you’ll need a blade or knife, a silicone softening agent, and a cleaning solution. The easiest and most affordable softening agents are vinegar, alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, etc.
- There are different ways to remove silicone. Start by softening the silicone using any softening agents and apply it thoroughly to the affected part.
- After a while, scrape it off with a knife or sharp blade to remove residual.
- Then, clean the surface with a cleaning solution, dishwasher, and a cloth.
How to Remove Stubborn Watermarks Off Shower Screen
It’s not unlikely to have stubborn watermarks on your shower screen. They’ll keep recurring, except the water is filtered or treated with a water treatment plant. These watermarks are caused when hard water dries, leaving a chalky limescale deposit on your shower screen. Because these marks are problematic, additional care must be taken to clean the screen properly.
- To remove stubborn watermarks from your shower screen, you’ll need white vinegar, distilled water, a small bowl, a rubber glove, a cloth, etc.
- If you use a professional cleaner, you may need to follow the instructions on the label.
- To get started, dip the cloth in the white vinegar and gently rub it on your shower screen.
- Apply more pressure on the screen and allow it to react with the watermarks.
- Repeating this step over time will remove the stubborn watermarks.
How to Remove Calcium from Glass Shower Doors
Calcium carbonate, called limescale, is a hard, crusty deposit that can be either white or green. The mineral component is found in hard water and flows from the showerhead to the glass door, leaving a deposit behind.
Removing limescale from glass shower doors can be dreadful, but the trick is to cut the buildup with minimal abrasion. Aside from that, you’ll need a white vinegar solution, rubber gloves, a paper towel, a damp rag or sponge, baking soda, etc.
To get started:
- Bring vinegar to a boil and gently allow it to cool.
- Soak a paper towel in the vinegar, unleash it on the glass shower door, and allow it to sit for about 30 to 60 minutes.
- Using a damp rag, sprinkle a little baking soda on the deposit.
- Scrub vigorously and repeat the process until the buildup is completely gone.
How to Remove Mold from Shower Screen Seal
Bathroom sealant can be an attractive site for mold, especially if left alone for a while. The shower screen seal provides a damp, warm and conducive environment for molds to live and survive in. Therefore, having molds on the shower screen seal isn’t uncommon, especially when the area is untidy.
Molds can make your bathroom look messy and smelly, so you must clean it. To ensure a better result, you must have; baking soda, vinegar, sponge, basin or bowl, clean cloth, etc. While for a more stubborn stain, you can use bleach.
- In using bleach to remove mold from the shower screen seal, mix bleach and water in a ratio of 1:4 inside a spray bottle.
- Spray mixture on the sealant, leave to sit and evaporate.
- Rinse the sealant with water and a sponge.
- Then allow drying using a towel or a clean cloth.
Best Products for Cleaning Shower Screens
Cleaning your shower screen may not be an ideal thing for you. But unfortunately, it’s one of those house chores you need to engage in; you got no choice. However, using the right cleaning solution and techniques can make the exercise easy and funfilled. Let’s discuss more on this.
Image Source: NBC News
Supermarkets offer different products for cleaning bathroom doors, shower screens, etc. These products are easy and simple to use. But there are more cost-effective and convenient products to use. These products are best at cleaning your shower screen without any traces of residue left. And you are likely to have them in your house already.
How to Clean Shower Screen with WD-40
You’re probably asking if you can use WD-40 to clean your shower screen. Of course, you can! Though it is a lubricant, it isn’t as harsh as other chemicals and is best for removing hard water stains and soap scrum.
Image Source: Pinterest
With a WD-40 toilet cleanser, cleaning your shower screen won’t be daunting because of its water displacement properties that protect your glass screen. It eliminates hard and stubborn stains without any damage. The step-by-step procedures include;
- Spray a little of the WD-40 on your glass shower screen.
- Allow sitting for 15 minutes so it could break down the stains.
- Then wipe with a microfibre cloth.
How to Clean Shower Screen with Vinegar
Vinegar is a natural disinfectant used to disinfect surfaces after food preparation. So, they are common household items and can also be used to clean shower screens at home. However, there are several types used for cooking and salad dressing. But cleaning vinegar is majorly used for household cleaning.
Image Source: maramani
If you want to stay off commercial cleaning products, then cleaning vinegar is an alternative you want to try. The distilled vinegar solution contains 95% water and 5% acid, which is safer. Here’s how to use vinegar to clean your shower screen.
- Mix an equal amount of vinegar and water in a bowl.
- Shake the mixture to homogenize and pour into a spray bottle.
- Drench the shower screen with the solution and allow it to sit for a few minutes.
- Using a soft-bristled brush or soft sponge, work over the stains.
- Rinse with clean water and bring to dry using a paper towel.
How to Clean Shower Screen with Baking Soda
Baking soda is a popular cleaning product that works wonders. As an abrasive, baking soda removes dirt and stubborn stains from the shower screen by allowing them to dissolve easily.
Image Source: Mental Floss
Baking soda is a non-toxic, mild alkali cleaning agent and excellent for household cleaning. Detailed below is how to clean the shower screen using baking soda.
- First, wet the shower screen surface with ordinary water.
- Prepare the baking soda paste by mixing it with a little water.
- Smear the mixture over the glass screen using a soft toothbrush or a dampened sponge.
- Pay close attention to tough stains and rinse with clean water.
- Then dry the screen using a paper towel to shine.
How to Clean Shower Screen with Lemon
There are plenty of natural products for a cleaning shower screen. And it’s exciting to know that lemon is one of such products. The citric acid is effective and excellent in removing hard stains and limescale from your shower screen.
Image Source: Real Simple
Using lemon juice to clean your shower screen is a straightforward task. You might want to add two tablespoons of salt to the lemon juice for better effectiveness (though this isn’t compulsory). Check out the cleaning procedure using lemon juice.
- Squeeze a cut of two lemons into a bowl.
- Add two tablespoons of salt to the juice, and mix well.
- Apply the solution to a soft sponge and wipe over the screen surface.
- Allow to sit in for a few minutes and rinse away lemon with clean water or white vinegar.
How to Clean Shower Screen with Dishwasher Tablets
Dishwasher tablets are chemicals designed to soften hard water, tackle tough stains, and dissolve grease and oil stains. Not only are dishwasher tablets used to clean dishes, but they are also excellent in removing soap scrum from your shower screen.
Image Source: which magazine
By simply making a paste of the tablets with lukewarm water and baking soda and applying it to the surface of your shower screen does the magic. Let’s consider the step-by-step procedure for doing this.
- Soak the tablet in a bowl containing lukewarm water.
- Leave the tablet in the water for a few minutes to saturate. Allow it to saturate and dissolve in the water fully.
- Put on your hand gloves, take the tablet and start scrubbing the glass. You can hold the tablet with a Ziploc, soft cloth, or a clean sponge to prevent it from sliding off your hand as you wash.
- Rub against the glass until the soap scum and other stains remove.
- Use hot water to rinse off and repeat the process until all stains are gone.
How to Easily Clean Shower Screen
Image Source: Direct Connect
Is cleaning your shower screen a difficult task for you? The easiest way to clean the shower screen is to apply a dishwasher and water to the screen. But how do you clean the different types/parts of your shower screen? Let’s consider this in detail and the products you need to get this done.
How to Clean Plastic Shower Screen
For some reason, plastic shower screens today are an alternative to glass ones. Although, many still prefer glass screens because of the modern look it gives the bathroom. However, acrylic is a modernized plastic material and can be cut into many shapes and easily handled by the installer because it is lightweight.
Image Source: Home Guides
Acrylic shower screen reacts to certain chemicals, and an off-the-shelf cleaning product can damage the screen. Also, stains and scratches are bound to occur if you don’t use the right cleaning solution. Because of the citric acid in the fruits, you can use lemon, limes, and grapefruits to clean your plastic shower screen. Check out the processes below:
- Slice the fruit into two halves and remove the seeds.
- Rub the fruit on your plastic shower screen, door, or any other place you want to clean.
- Exert some pressure to get the juice out.
- Wait about 20 minutes to allow the juice to penetrate the screen stains.
- Then rinse off with lukewarm and wipe with a microfibre cloth.
How to Clean Rubber Seal on Shower Screen
Cleaning the rubber seal on your shower screen is somewhat tedious. The path is quite narrow and awkward to access. So, you’ll need a soft toothbrush than a brillo pad.
Image Source: YouTube
To clean the rubber seal on your shower screen, you can use a mold and mildew stain removal on the seal. Alternatively, a diluted solution of bleach and water will be great. To get started:
- Spray mold and mildew stain removal on the screen and allow to sit for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Using a toothbrush, remove the stain and rinse down with clean water.
- If you use bleach, dilute 2 tablespoons of it in a small amount of water.
- Apply on the seal and allow to sit in for 30 minutes before washing off with clean water.
How to Clean a Curved Shower Screen
A curved bath shower screen brings a touch of elegance to your bathroom. The architectural designs are stunning and fantastic and suitable for bathrooms. They also keep your bathroom floors and walls dry, protecting the tiles and floors from water damage.
Image Source: ArchiExpo
You’ll need white vinegar solution and a microfibre cloth to clean your curved shower screen. For stubborn stains that persist, you’ll need a specialist water stain remover. Check out these steps below to clean your curved shower screen.
- Mix an equal amount of water and vinegar in a spray bottle.
- Spray the affected areas, especially the edges of the shower screen.
- Using a cotton cloth, wipe the glass down.
- For stubborn stains, apply a mixture of cloth and scrub the glass.
- Then wipe off the stain using a microfibre cloth.
How to Clean Bottom of Shower Screen
The bottom of your shower screen is usually out of sight, and therefore, there’s the probability that you pay less attention to it. You must attend to this area of your shower screen because if left for too long, the seal can damage, leading to water leakages.
Image Source: YouTube
To prevent the bottom seal of your shower screen from being worn out, you must regularly clean it. To remove dirt at the bottom of your screen, you’ll need a toothbrush or magic eraser to scrub the surface. Check out the steps below.
- Dip the toothbrush or magic eraser in vinegar.
- Scrub the screen’s surface and allow it to sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Then scrub it again and rinse with warm water.
How to Clean Kudos Shower Screen
All kudos shower screens are made from easy-to-clean glass, with a lifetime guarantee. The products are manufactured with high-quality materials with innovative designs. Therefore, it’s recommended to use a liquid wash and aroma-free glass cleanser to kudos shower screen.
Image Source: Sanctuary Bathrooms
To clean the kudos shower screen, avoid strong detergents, abrasive scrubbing cleaning equipment, or abrasive cleaners. They cause more damage to the coatings on the screen. Another thing you want to do is to follow the instructions given by the manufacturer strictly. Here’s what you should do to clean yours:
- Dip a clean cloth/sponge into warm soapy water.
- And thoroughly clean the kudos shower screen.
- Rinse with clean luke water to remove any residue.
- Then dry with a microfibre cloth.
How to Clean a Shower Screen, so it is Spotless.
Shower screens are a way of keeping our bathrooms clean by preventing water spillage and other grimes. Shampoo, body wash, conditioner, and water are all prevented from littering the bathroom floors and tiles. However, these stains and grimes accumulate over time, causing spots on your screen.
To clean your shower screen, so it is spotless, follow the steps below.
- Spray the glass using the shower head.
- Then spray the screen with a bathroom cleaner or a DIY vinegar mixture.
- Using a sponge, scrub in a circular motion.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Using a squeegee, remove the soapy water.
- Then wipe the screen with a cloth/paper towel to dry the shower screen.
How to Stop Shower Screen Seals Going Moldy
It’s not unlikely to see molds build up on your shower screen. To stop your shower screen seal from becoming moldy, you must take further steps after cleaning the bathroom sealant. After cleaning the moldy area with baking soda and vinegar, spray the sealant with bleach and water to destroy moldy spores.
How Often Should I Clean Shower Screen?
Cleaning your shower screen isn’t difficult, especially when you use the right products and follow the steps. And you should be done with cleaning; therefore, cleaning it once a week is fair to prevent any buildup of grimes, limescale, and soap scum deposits. You can also employ the service of a professional once in a while.
Tips for Cleaning Shower Screen
For tips on how to clean your shower screen and keep it clean always;
- Install a water softener in your bathroom. Though this is expensive, it will prevent mineral buildup on your shower screen.
- If all you got in your bathroom is white toothpaste, it still performs the magic of cleaning your shower screen. Just apply a little on a damp cloth and scrub on the screen to remove streaks.
- Avoid using cedar vinegar for cleaning. Distilled white vinegar is a better option and does best in cleaning your shower screen.
Common FAQs for Cleaning Shower Screen
- How do I prevent my shower screen from getting dirty?
- Regularly clean your shower screen with a squeegee to prevent watermarks and limescale.
- What can I do if I find a large amount of mold in my bathroom?
- Lots of mold in your bathroom can indicate water damage or plumbing issues. A simple home or DIY remedy can’t take this off. You may need to seek the service of a professional cleaner.
- What can I do to help water evaporate easily from my shower screen?
- Always keep your bathroom well ventilated to help water evaporate easily and prevent watermarks.
As we conclude on how to clean your shower screen, remember that the information provided above has been thoroughly researched and offers all you need to know to ensure your shower screen is clean and your bathroom is free from infection.
For more cleaning ideas and tips on how to get the best from your home and environment, check our website, GuyAboutHome. We have much more to offer you! We also want to recommend some help blogs to keep you informed;