The Alocasia Black Velvet is a beautiful indoor plant that is well-known for its foliage. Though intoxicatingly beautiful, the plant has arrow-shaped leaves, black in color, and also have attractive silver veins that grow on dwarf stems. The plant proliferates but gets dormant in winter.
Alocasia black velvet is a species of alocasias and is commonly found in the jungles of Borneo. This plant, along with many others, was collected by English people searching the jungles for a new variety of houseplants during the 1860s. The plant stays small and cute throughout its lifetime, which makes it look super classy.
What is Alocasia Black Velvet?
Alocasia black velvet is also popularly known as the Alocasia Reginula. The plant is a mini Alocasia and is popular for its foliage. Alocasia ‘black velvet’ is called so because of the velvet-like texture of its leaves. It is a stunning plant and makes a statement no matter where you keep it.
People also use Alocasia black velvet in terrariums because of its small size. However, the plant needs a little more attention when kept in terrariums because of the limited space, soil, and nutrition.
Alocasia black velvet is known by many names such as:
- Queen Alocasia
- Alocasia velvet: it is called so because of the velvet-like texture on its leaves.
- The little queen: it is called so because of the small size of the plant
- Black velvet elephant ear plant: it is called so because of the shape of the leaves of the plant, which looks like an elephant’s ear.
Alocasia black velvet is a dark gem, and it belongs to a rare species of alocasias. Another fascinating thing to note about the plant is that it is not actually of black color. When you crush the leaves, you will find out that the leaves are dark green and not black.
Features & Benefits Of Alocasia Black Velvet
Alocasia black velvet is a beautiful and unique plant. It is also gaining popularity these days because of the unique shape and color of its leaves. Alocasia black velvet or the little queen is a perfect houseplant that can elevate any place with its classy look.
Source: Terrarium Tribe
Some standard features of Alocasia black velvet are:
- Alocasia black velvet grows up to the height of around 30 to 50 cm. The spread or the width of the plant is approximately 18 to 25 cm.
- The plant is generally beached and has rhizomes.
- The leaf usually grows to 8 to 15 cm and is approximately 6 cm in width.
- Spots or splashes characterize the backside of the leaf.
- The stems of the plant are thick and very pale.
- The plant grows minute white flowers that are grown together in a bunch. Each bunch of flowers is surrounded by modified leaves which usually are very pale.
- The plant usually blooms throughout the year.
- The plant consists of oxalic acid. This acid is dangerous to humans as well as animals. Eating it will cause serious issues to humans as well as animals. Therefore it is advisable to keep the plant out of the reach of pets and kids.
- It is a fast-growing plant. It grows very fast in the months of summer as well as spring.
Apart from stunning features, Alocasia black velvet also has several benefits. One of the biggest benefits is that the plant doesn’t require much fertilizer; it can survive even if you fertilize the plant very little. However, you should keep an eye on watering. Do not leave the soil very moist and water only when the soil is completely dried off. An excellent way to check this is to touch the soil; if the soil sticks to your finger, it means that the soil has moisture and doesn’t need watering.
On the other hand, if the soil does not stick to your fingers, it means that the soil lacks moisture, and you can water the plant. When watering the plant, make sure that the water seeps out of the drainage holes. This ensures that water reaches every root of the plant.
Here are some of the benefits of Alocasia black velvet:
- Alocasia black velvet is not a very heavy feeder. It does not require a lot of nutrients to survive. This means that it will not require frequent fertilization.
- It flowers throughout the year.
- Because of its small size, it can be easily grown in terrariums.
- Alocasia black velvet can be easily grown as an indoor plant. However, you will have to make sure that the soil is not over moist. All in all, the plant likes humid and warm temperatures.
- It is an air purifier plant and thus the best choice if you are looking for a house plant.
How Big Does An Alocasia Black Velvet Get?
Alocasia black velvet is quite different from other plants in the same species. It is a small plant that is generally smaller than a foot in height. The stems of Alocasia black velvet are very rhizomatous; thus, the plant can grow up to the width of 18 cm. Because of its height, the plant is also commonly known as ‘the little queen.’
The plant does not grow very big, and therefore it is a perfect option if you are looking for a unique houseplant. Because the plant does not grow very tall, it does not require a heavy or frequent dose of fertilizer. However, when the plant grows very fast in the spring and summer season, it might need a little extra attention and fertilizer once every 20 days or so.
Why Is Alocasia Black Velvet So Expensive?
The Alocasia black velvet is a beautiful but expensive plant. It usually costs around $1500. This plant is so expensive because it’s difficult to transport as the plant needs at least 5-6 hours of sunlight; therefore, transporting the plant becomes quite a task.
The plant is native to the forests of Bosnia, which adds up to the cost of traveling. However, the plant can be propagated easily, especially in a humid and warm environment. If you buy the plant that is propagated in your area itself, it might cost you a little less than the imported ones.
How Much Does An Alocasia Black Velvet Cost?
The Alocasia Black Velvet is a beautiful plant used as a decorative item and can also be kept indoors. The leaves of this plant are a little rough to touch, and it grows up to a height of 30-40 cm. If ingested, the plant can harm both humans and animals. Hence, you need to take adequate care of the plant to prevent it from getting ingested. The plant is an expensive one and may cost you somewhere around $1500.
How To Propagate An Alocasia Black Velvet?
The Alocasia Black Velvet can easily be propagated using the rhizome system. The division of the underground rhizome system will give you healthy black velvet baby plants.
The plants can grow out from the mother plant to around 20 cm below the ground in wild conditions. No doubt, the containerized Black Velvet that you have outgrown from the mother plant will have a small rhizome system. These systems help you to propagate the plant further.
Alocasia Black Velvet can be propagated from the seeds as well, but the process is very slow. To begin with, the process, make sure that it is the right time. The plant is dormant during the winter season, and it will not give positive results—the best time to do so is in the spring season.
- Take out the plant from the pot, shake the extra soul clung to its roots. Also, check the root system of the mother plant to make sure that it is in good condition and there are no signs of fungal infection or entanglement.
- Look for the rhizome system, and it looks like clumps of ginger. Locate the best place to cut them. Using a cutting instrument or clear knife, remove the rhizome. Wear gloves while doing so.
- You will then have to plant it. You will need a potting mix for the planting process that creates suitable environmental conditions for the new plants and enables them to thrive. Mixing the potting mix with coco coir is an ideal solution as well.
- Put your rhizome into the soil when ready and give it a light drink. Place the plant in an area that gets indirect, bright sunlight.
How To Care For Alocasia Black Velvet?
This particular indoor plant requires a temperature range of 70-80°F. The humidity levels need to be monitored, and if it is anything less than 50%, then the plant will suffer. Let us know some other care tips that will help ensure that the plant stays healthy and happy.
The black velvet plant is generally native to the jungle environment and belongs to the Borneo jungle. In the wild, it usually stays exposed to shaded or dappled light under the canopies. That said, recreating the same environment will be the best. The best way to do it at your home is to place the plant in a sunny window but away from direct sunlight.
The same conditions apply with watering as well so that the plant feels at home. That said, it needs a small amount of water, but regularly. This will keep the soil moist constantly and will not get waterlogged at the same time. You can water the plant daily, but skip that day if you feel that it has become dense with water.
The Alocasia plant craves warmth, especially during the summer season. That said, a temperature around 70°F is ideal for the plant to stay healthy. During the summer season, a temperature of 80°F would also work fine. Be careful when the temperature falls, as, at temperatures below 60°F, the plant becomes dormant.
Flowers bloom in the Alocasia Black Velvet plant occasionally. Though, it is not the only reason people buy this plant. The plant is famous for its unique leaves. That being said, the leaves are the key feature of this plant. The flower bloomed on the plant is unspectacular. Most of the owners remove the flower as it starts showing up since the energy from the leaves gets diverted to the flowers.
One of the critical factors that need to be monitored when you have the Alocasia Black Beauty at your home’s humidity levels. This is a tropical plant and hence requires high humidity levels. That said, the humidity level should be at least 60%, and the plant thrives comfortably at around 70%.
Maintaining such humidity levels can be a difficult task, especially during the winter season. This is why, often, during the winter season, the plant turns dormant. Keep your plant in a more human-like environment, such as in the bathroom. We also recommend you to mist the leaves regularly. If you notice the plant struggling to thrive, try using a humidifier.
Where To Buy Alocasia Black Velvet?
If you want to buy an Alocasia Balck Velvet and keep the plant at your home, you can easily find it online. Since it is an indoor plant and doesn’t require much water daily, it will be efficiently delivered to your doorstep. You can simply type in the search box, “buy alocasia black velvet,” and you will find several websites selling the plant.
You can find the plant in local nurseries as well. We recommend you always purchase from a reputed online store to ensure that you are not offered a plant that would not survive long or the one that is already ingested. While looking for some indoor plants that would decorate your space, you will also find ficus triangularis, and Monstera Dubia, among other popular choices.
It is just the humidity levels required for this plant. Otherwise, the task of maintaining Alocasia Black Velvet is not daunting. Other easy-to-grow indoor plants include Monstera Siltepecanna, Trachyandra Tortilis, etc.
The Bottom Line
Alocasia Black Velvet gets its name from its appearance; the dark velvety leaves with striking veins make this plant an eye-catcher. Just as any other indoor plant would require, this one also requires a unique care regime to make sure that it grows and stays as expected. The best part about having this plant is that you can just manage this beautiful plant perfectly well once you are aware of the tips and tricks.